Michelin North America, Inc. is proud to announce the annual Michelin challenge design to celebrate, promote, publicize and give visibility to original creative thinking and innovation in vehicle design.
Application deadline: 1st March, 2019
Eligible countries: All
To be taken at (Country): Online, Detroit, USA
About the Award: Mega cities are struggling to meet the future Economic, Environmental, Emotional and Social needs for sustainable mobility in a time of rapidly changing technology.
Most discussions around the future of mobility are focused on what people will be driving, the technologies that will be used and the brands that will survive.
Hundreds of billion of Dollars will be spent over the next 200 years maturing the technologies and creating the devices that will be used in the sustainable mobility ecosystems of the future.
Less frequently asked question is ‘why’. Why would a user choose a particular mobility system? Your design will be much deeper and more meaningful for users if you first recognize why certain emotional needs of users are important before proceeding to how you will address the need and what your design product will be
For the 2019 Michelin Challenge Design, your challenge is to inspire users by successfully identifying one of the following emotional needs: joy, trust, security or freedom; and designing a mobility solution that will invoke that emotion for users in one of the following mega cities: Berlin, Mumbai, New York, Sao Paulo or Shanghai in 2035.
1. Fans, Students, Individual designers, studio designers, Consultants, Design Schools, Transportation designers, including OEM and suppliers, are all eligible to enter.
2. Michelin challenge design is the pen to residents of any country. Parents or legal guardians of entrants less than the age of majority in their state, province or country must sign the MCD questionnaires and the MCD Entry form. Michelin challenge design is void where prohibited by law. all entries for the Michelin challenge design must be received by 1 of august the previous year.
3. By participating you agree to be bound by the rules and procedures of this challenge and by the decisions of the Michelin challenge design jury and of Michelin, whose decisions shall be final and binding in all respects. Any entries or displays may be withdrawn or declined for any reason at any time.
4. Entrants must include all data and information and fulfill all requirements as required by the Michelin challenge design rules and procedures and entry form in order for the entry to be valid. Entrants must provide all data and information that is accurate and complete.
5. Student designers who are working with an engineering department, at a university, are required to take the lead role in the development of any submitted work. This means that the designer has final say to all technical questions that will have an impact on the functional and aesthetic result of the design work.
Selection Criteria: Jury evaluates based on the following:
Relevance to the theme
Design value and quality
Design display ability.
Value of Contest:
Roundtrip coach airfare to Detroit to attend 2019 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS-Detroit) for the sole designer or, in the case of a team design, one team representative. Michelin will book the airfare on your behalf; any guests will be at your expense.
Up to Five (5*) nights hotel accommodations in Detroit for NAIAS, including hotel internet service, room rate and taxes at a Michelin-selected hotel. You will be responsible for all other incidentals, and the hotel will ask for a credit card to cover any charges other than room, internet, and taxes.
Michelin-arranged transportation from Detroit Metro Airport to Detroit hotel upon arrival and from Detroit hotel to Detroit Metro Airport at departure.
Travel Visa: If required and you provide Michelin with your receipt, Michelin will reimburse you the expense. This does not apply to passport fees.
Entry credentials for Press Days and Industry Preview days at NAIAS (January 2019)
Invitation to attend and recognition at the private Michelin Designer’s Reception – the Monday night during press days at NAIAS – highlighted by the exposure to NAIAS, media, designers and other winners.
Private Portfolio Review with some members of the Michelin Challenge Design Jury
Recognition on www.michelinchallengedesign.com web site
Recognition on www.cardesignnews.com web site
How to Apply:
No purchase necessary to participate.
For Internet entries, visit http://www.michelinchallengedesign.com and complete and submit the online Michelin Challenge Design Entry Form with all accompanying required materials.